Reading for today: A History of Qualitative Inquiry in Social & Educational Research by Frederick Erickson (Draft, 2/16/2010- do not quote or cite)
Reading for next week: Same as this week
Reading for following week (2/10): Studying Side by Side: Collaborative action ethnography in educational research by Fred Erickson (2006)
- Cultural Artifact Day – Liz (Foucault) – grandfather’s watch, travel cup, snow globe she got from HS graduation, my ipod – Wade Davis “Culture is not things; it is the blanket of ethics and morals that we wrap ourselves in.”
- Way to go Joe! Schooling the World – extended conversations; Warner blog post
- Writing – 9am – noon Saturday’s
- UR Pre-College Education in Physics program (July) – PREP – free for 9th and 10th grade girls – can you say STARS?!?!?
- I’m not here next Thursday (Summit on Science, Education & Entertainment in LA) – who will facilitate? Keep it going! – Michael will.
- Tomorrow – workshop for faculty – not sure what’s gonna happen? – 5 minutes discussion (Transparency in the class – rubrics, formative; Backward design & curriculum; Expect all to succeed) – combine – make it explicit
- Liz – join professional organizations? YES!! Go YOU!! AERA & NCTE and submitted proposposals to 2 different conferences.
- Jeremiah – help with retrieval from your audio recorders??
- Informal birthday bash – reminds me just how much fun we have together!! THANK YOU ALL who could and those who could not come!
- Jeremiah will post weekly updates in between meetings. Working on proposal – by the 31st – revisit/refine the research questions – by 2/2 (Big picture goal March 10th: outline of ch1 & written ch. 2) – 2/2: questions, outline (ch1), & chucks of literature review (ch2)
- Michael will share main themes from section 3 of comp 1 (challenges of reform-based teaching) – A) overcoming apprenticeship of observation -> (shift in thinking) -> B) challenges of reform (conceptual, pedagogical, cultural & political) & C) community. NEXT WEEK: section 4 of comp 1 (supports)
- Liz will share a table of critiques matched with efforts to address these (comp 3) – Read feedback; did “insert text boxes” for responses to critique – Next week -outline of comp 3
- Rachel will write 5 pages on socio-cultural /identity stuff related to science literacie -going to write working drafts of pre-dissertation fellowship application (due 2/5)!; submitting syllabus of women in science course for Susan B. Anthony (due 2/15) and 2 paragraphs of “figured worlds.”
- Joe will share the methods section of his genealogy – still under construction – not in logical flow – mitchill dean (governmentality); foucault – document – implementation framework for united nations education for sustainable development – FEB 2 – has outline of comp 1 – will bring copies of more robust outline
- Joe and April will share Belize “Capture Sheet” and our attempt at a code book
- Rachel and Joe will sharer research questions for STARS
My thoughts about main points:
- Lots of time & disciplined subjectivity
- Domestic versus exotica – needs for domestica; combinations of the 2
- Qualitative (kinds of things) versus quantitative (counts)
Hanging out last Monday night: